Saturday, August 25, 2012

Onam Feast

Recipes for the side dishes and main courses of the traditional Ona Sadhya, as recorded in my mother's recipe book. She used to do this entire meal, which was then served and eaten on banana leaves - a full day or more of effort.

As I am short on time and won't be able to add in all my mother's recipes before Onam, I'm going to provide links alongside each sadya item to other great recipes online.


Today, few families go through the trouble of cooking all of these items, and the more common practice is to visit your favorite malayali restaurant and have the sadhya there. But that flavor just doesn't compare to the food I remember from these recipes.

Ona Sadhya Food List (the recipes with titles linked are from my mother's book - the recipes linked alongside each item are not mine)

Side Dishes
Main Serving
Dessert
  • Ada or Parippu Pradaman | Recipe 1 | Recipe 2 | Recipe 3

No comments: